Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Book Review: Big Red Barn

We went to the bookstore this weekend looking for new books for Siena. I was sure that the bookstore would have a nice selection compared to the superstores that I normally shop at.

Well, I was very disappointed. I kept comparing each book to books that I had as a child. In the end, I did find one book that had a great story with good illustrations.

Big Red Barn
By: Margaret Wise Brown

This book has a couple lines per page just enough but not too much that it loses Siena’s interest. In addition, the book rhymes, which I really like. This book teaches colors, animal sounds, and opposites within the story where it’s NOT just saying “this is a red ball” with a picture of a red ball. And Siena seems to really enjoy the book.

As a side note, Big Red Barn is by the same author as Goodnight Moon, but I have to say, in my opinion, Big Red Barn is far superior.

I will try the bookstore again to see if I can find additional books for Siena, but in the mean time, I guess I will be forced to read her my books from when I was a child – yes I still have them.

No comments: